Our Board Advisory team helps boards and directors to be more effective when dealing with governance, risk, and strategy of an organization.
Boards and individual directors have a critical role to play in the governance, risk and strategy oversight of their organization. As business and society evolve, boards must be able to navigate the challenges and opportunities to ensure the sustainable growth of their business. This involves juggling the needs of multiple stakeholders in an increasingly interconnected world.
Boards must be operating effectively, be fully cognisant of their collective and individual responsibilities, able to make informed decisions based on an understanding of the key issues impacting their business strategy and be supported by robust governance frameworks.
How We Support:
Our board advisory team is made up of governance, risk and strategy experts who can assist you and your board, to:
- Benchmark and improve current governance frameworks against better practice
- Undertake board and board committee evaluations that identify areas of strength and weakness in skills, behaviors, board meeting effectiveness, board reporting, board composition, board compensation, stakeholder engagement, risk and strategy
- Assist with the development of board support tools including board documents, policies, and processes that underpin a robust governance framework of risk management, strategy formulation, monitoring and assurance
- Undertake tailored board training around risk, strategy, and governance to assist boards to meet their fiduciary responsibilities
Shareholder activism is on the rise, making it increasingly important for boards and executives to be actively engaged with investors year-round. Activists are conducting more professional campaigns than in the past, hiring banking and public relations firms to produce materials that communicate in-depth analyses of targeted companies. These firms are sophisticated in their approach — seeking structural changes and longer-term involvement with targeted companies rather than solely focusing on short-term gains. The Balance Sheet Activism strategy has expanded potential activist targets to include well-performing companies that have the means to make a shareholder distribution through cash on hand or leverage.
SilverMile works with clients to provide critical counsel and tactical support to both deter shareholder activism and defend against an activist campaign. The specialists in our Corporate Governance & Activism teams across the globe help companies not only communicate strategic plans to large investors but also to the broader market directly and through key influencers.
We help clients understand, anticipate and respond to corporate governance and activism threats with client services, including:
- Research & Analysis
- Shareholder sentiment assessment
- Industry peer evaluation
- Shareholder base and voting analysis
- Scenario Planning & Defense Materials:
- Activism prevention strategies and communications
- Activism defense plans and engagement strategies
- Messaging platforms and shareholder engagement materials
- Engagement Planning & Execution:
- Shareholder and key influencer prioritization
- Shareholder and media communications
- Resource assessment and support